Friday, June 22, 2007

Lost in Goodbyes

Today is one of my student's last days, he's leaving. He gave me the first season of Heroes on DVD as a goodbye present. I'm really going to miss him. Next week another student is leaving that's going to make the whole school sad. He's THE fun around here. Also that week, a teacher who started almost the same day I did is moving on.


This job is constant goodbyes, I've blogged about it before. This photo is the last scene from Lost in Translation. This scene shows what the movie was about. It's about not really making connections, and then making connections, but they're fleeting so it poses the question...how do we act? What is the nature of this relationship? It was hard for Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanssen to say goodbye, it was awkward because they hung out alot, but ...


In the hotel lobby when Bill was leaving, there was so much commotion, and she was just like..."ok bye" and it was nothing special. I've been there before. Well the very last scene he chases her down and forces a hug and says a proper goodbye. I don't know what she's feeling, but I know what I feel in these countless situations that I've had with the students in the last year. I feel like this picture looks. I'm sorry, I don't know how to act, it hurts, but I don't know what to say or do.


We exchange email addresses and pictures and sometimes there's a party. Tonight there's one for P. but I can't go. Does anyone else besides me know that the St. Elmo's Fire theme song has words...part of it says, time goes on, people touch and then they're gone. It's playing in my mind today.

No comments: