Sunday, July 8, 2007

Great Korean Movies


I have asked gazillions of South Korean students what their favorite Korean movie is and I get lots of different answers, but there are three movies that get mentioned again and again. Here are two of them. I thought of this post because I just saw Robin Williams on Larry King Live and he was talking about hanging out with Martin Scorsese and he launched into an impression of Martin telling people about good movies to see, and he mentioned a South Korean movie called Old Boy in he middle of his schtick. I got excited to hear the reference, because I know Old Boy!

I don't know exactly what the movie is about, but I guess a guy gets put in jail at a young age and then gets out later, the same mental age as when he went in. The students don't really exaplain movies very well, even the ones who speak English well.

Another movie that's supposed to blow me away is Peppermint Candy.


I don't know what this one is about, but the students really like it. It's supposed to be one of the best Korean movies made.
Here is a still from Peppermint Candy



And here is a still from Old Boy...


I don't know, I'm just here to report.

1 comment:

Beloved said...

Hmmm. . . I don't know, but my favorites are JSA, Christmas in August, and Marathon (a.k.a. Running Boy).

I hope you're still blogging here. This blog is a combination of two worlds I love--one which I spent 6 years in (S. Korea) and one which I dream of seeing someday and have a very dear friend from (the Philippines).