Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Manny Pacquiao- The Boxer


Well here he is, the legend. Here in the Philippines this guy is like Michael Jordan was a few years back when you just couldn't get away from him. I really can't stand boxing, it makes me feel like I'm from another planet because I just don't get it. If I was a human being that was from around here, I'm thinking that I would see boxing and be like, "oh yeah, I can totally see how people do that". Alas, this is impossible for me, and I've tried pretty hard to do some mental acrobatics to fool myself into understanding it. The closest I get is: "It's a guy thing." But I want to back off of that because I already think that men are so evil, they just don't need anymore bad press in my brain, so I fall back to- 'I must be from somewhere else.'

Manny endorses ANYTHING and everything, including alcohol. When those commercials would come on, my son said things like, "I drink this, and then I can hit people really hard." It's funny, but you have to be there.

This guy is everywhere. I have been startled more than once by a life-size cardboard cut out of Manny in a shopping aisle. ME: "Ack! Ohmai...sheesh* get out of here!" Punch. No, I never punched one.

So my son said today, whenever pac "the pacman" (clever!) loses...the commercial for the next fight says "Justice will be served!" or something like that.

The best I can hope for is that big thick-boned head of his keeps his brain safe. I hate to see these guys later in life with all the problems they develop. I mean, it's not surprising but it sure is sad.

No comments: